Skip to content

Libyan Rebels Reject QADDAFI’S Offer To Talk – FoxNews.com

August 28, 2011

Aug. 27: Libyan rebels are seen on the road out of Misrata, 118 miles from Sirte, Libya.

Libyan Rebels Reject Qaddafi’s Offer to Talk

Published August 28, 2011 | Associated Press

AP

TRIPOLI, LIBYA –  Libyan rebels on Sunday rejected an offer by Muammar Qaddafi to negotiate and said they have captured the eastern town of Bin Jawwad, forcing regime loyalists to flee after days of fighting.

With his regime crumbling, Qaddafi is on the run, but his chief spokesman Moussa Ibrahim told The Associated Press the Libyan leader is still in Libya. As the call for negotiations came, new signs emerged of arbitrary killings of detainees and civilians by Qaddafi forces during the rebels’ push into Tripoli earlier this week, including some 50 charred corpses at a regime lockup.

The rebels dismissed Qaddafi’s proposal, relayed by Ibrahim by phone, to have his son al-Saadi lead talks on a transitional government as delusional.

“I would like to state very clearly, we don’t recognize them. We are looking at them as criminals. We are going to arrest them very soon,” Mahmoud Shammam, the information minister in the rebels’ transitional government, told a news conference. “Talking about negotiations is a daydream for what remains of the dictatorship.”

In London Sunday, British Foreign Secretary William Hague also dismissed the offer, saying the National Transitional Council was already in charge of the country and that Qaddafi should call on his supporters to stop fighting.

via Libyan Rebels Reject Qaddafi’s Offer To Talk | FoxNews.com.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: